A new world is upon me! I discovered cashew-based sauces and nothing will ever be the same.
Was I sceptical about this? Yes. Was I proven wrong by how good, deliciously creamy and cheese-like the sauce turned out? 100%.
Without further ado, here’s how to turn your ‘cheesy’ dreams into a vegan reality.
- Your favourite pasta (for 2-3 portions)
- A bunch of asparagus
- Mushrooms (as many as you like, there is no right or wrong here)
- Olive oil
- Lots of pepper
- 1 shallot/onion
- 1 cup cashews (soaked over night for best results)
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 table spoons inactive yeast flakes
- gulp of olive oil
- 2 table spoons soy sauce
- a sprinkle of fresh parsley
- 1 lime/lemon (zest and juice)
- half a shallot (optional)
- Lots (and I mean LOTS) of ground pepper
Step 1: Cook the pasta as instructed.
Step 2: Meanwhile saute the mushrooms in olive oil and diced shallots + salt and pepper
Step 3: Steam the asparagus for a few minutes then cut it in small pieces and mix with the mushrooms (off the heat)
Step 4: Put all the sauce ingredients in a blender, blend on a low speed and increase gradually. Stop a few times to scrape the sides of the container, for a consistent, smooth blend. Blend on a high speed until smooth and creamy. Add seasoning to taste and more milk if needed.
Step 5: Mix the cooked paste with the mushrooms, asparagus and creamy sauce. Plate and east straight away